4 Signs you have Black mold in your home

Black mold is a term that refers to numerous species of molds that may grow in homes, causing various issues. Areas that are warm and moist are its preferred living environment. This includes kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. There are ways to identify mold so you can be rid of it.

1. Smelling It

The smell of mold is very pervasive and distinct. It will often be described as being “earthy”, “musty”, or “like spoiled produce”. This is a giveaway that your house may have mold in it. Mold is often in corners or hidden. The odor might be the first clue that you have mold, even if you have not seen any yet.

2. Seeing Areas Of Growth

A definitive way to tell that a home has mold is to see it growing. Despite being called “black” mold, it can present in various colors. The mold spots can look black, green, brown, or even orange with white spotting.

The area of growth may have a furry appearance in some cases. When an area of growth gets large enough, it can have the appearance of a large black stain on the floors, walls, or ceiling of the home.

When you or your loved ones spot mold growing in your home, it might be prudent to get professional cleaners to remove it before it can spread or cause further damage.

3. Having Water Damage

Having water damage is a huge risk factor for your home developing black mold growths. A burst pipe, a leak in your roof, a pipe that drips, or other water problems may give mold the moist environment it needs to thrive in your home.

Keep on top of plumbing issues and make sure to repair water damage as quickly as possible so that mold does not have a chance to get a foothold. Once mold starts, it is much harder to stop.

4. Experiencing Physical Symptoms

While black mold has not definitively been linked to many diseases, there is substantial evidence that it can cause symptoms and health issues. People with allergies or compromised immune systems are more likely to experience negative health consequences from mold exposure.

People in the household becoming ill with no identifiable cause may be a sign your home has mold that has not been discovered yet. Some of the most common health issues people have experienced after exposure to mold include:

  • Mold poisoning ( mycotoxicosis)
  • Loss of memory
  • Aches and pains from no discernable source
  • Rash
  • Nosebleeds
  • Headaches
  • Breathing issues like coughing or wheezing
  • Sinusitis

If people in the household begin getting symptoms or worsening of any current issues like allergies, it is possible that mold is the culprit.

It’s important to be knowledgeable about the potential effects of mold infestation so that if your or loved ones encounter it, you can nip it in the bud.