What Are the Causes of Hair Loss, and How to Prevent it.
To determine the inherent cause of your hair loss, it’s best to see your doctor. Hair loss is often passed down from generation to generations. Some of the things that may trigger hair loss includes surgeries, major illnesses or some physical injuries, in these cases, the hair grows back without treatments. Some hormonal changes which are associated with childbirth, menopause, pregnancy, the break in the use of birth control pills can also cause hair loss, but this is temporary. However, some medical conditions which can cause severe hair loss includes; alopecia areata, thyroid disease, diseases that causes scarring et cetera.
WHICH SHAMPOO IS THE BEST TO PREVENT HAIR FALL?
Two choices are made available when it comes to shampoos that prevents hair fall – the prescription shampoo and over-the-counter shampoo. Prescription shampoos like anti-androgenetic and ketoconazole are helpful for preventing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and testoserone which are the two hormones linked with hair loss problems; the shampoos targets hair growth from the follicles.
For over-the-counter shampoos, Dr. Schwieger urges the use of shampoos with antioxidant formulas, they include: amino acids, vitamin E and ginseng, and the B-vitamins. This is particularly because it helps reduce the environmental damage caused to the hair and it also helps builds the hair again. She also warned against the use of shampoos which contains parabens, fragrances and sulfates, as this can cause irritation and it also reduces the hair moisture.
It is safe to say, prescription shampoos are reliable. However, for those who prefers over-the-counter shampoos, they should go for shampoos with antioxidant formulas.
WHAT FOODS PREVENT HAIR LOSS?
There are varieties of foods which prevents hair loss, few of these foods will be higlighted below.
- SPINACH – spinach is rich in iron, protein, vitamin A and C. Iron deficiciency is the leading cause of hair loss. Other nutrients such as Omega-3, potassium, magnesium and calcium which helps in maintaining a healthy scalp and full hair are also provided.
- EGGS- The hair follicles are mostly made of proteins, therefore, the hair needs enough proteins. Eggs are protein sources, they are essential for hair growth and the hair health in general.
- OYSTERS – oysters are great source of zinc in diet. Zinc is helpful with increased hair growth and it also supports repair cycle. Zinc deficiency might result in telogen effluvin, which is a common but reversible form of hair loss.
- NUTS – Nuts is a wonderful choice of addition to the diet. It supplies one with varieties of zinc, essential fatty acids and B vitamins- a lack of these in diets is associated with the cause of hair loss.
- AVOCADO – Avocados are great sources of vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Vitamin E and fatty acids are essential for promoting hair growth. A study shows that people with hair loss experienced 34.5 % more hair growth after the consumption of vitamin E for complete eight months.
- SWEET POTATOES – sweet potatoes are excellent sources of beta-caroten. The body helps convert this compound in to vitamin A and vitamin A promotes good hair health. Studies shows that vitamin A enhances the production of Sebum; Sebum keeps the hair healthy. Vitamin A is also essential for enhancing the growth of thicker hair while advertently preventing the regression of other hair follicles.
Other foods that are essential for preventing hair loss includes proteinous foods such as Greek yogurt, peas, lentils, tofu and beans; irons such as mussels, dark leafy greens and red meats; Vitamins A and C such as spinach, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, Swiss chard and broccoli; Magnesium such as almonds, cashews, brown rice and halibut; Selenium such as Brazil nuts, shrimp sardines, ham and tuna; and zinc such as roast beef, chickpeas, veal liver and wheat germ.
IS FINASTERIDE REALLY EFFECTIVE?
Finasteride has proven to be effective for cases of hair loss. The male pattern hair loss begins to occur when the hormone known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT) prevents the hair follicles from getting the appropriate nutrients needed. Finasteride helps reduce the DHT levels in the body, thereby stimulating hair regrowth of hair loss in men. Finasteride is taken as a daily pill and due to its effectiveness, it is approved by the FDA as a hair loss treatment.